A healthy diet is one way to manage your cholesterol. Making a few simple changes in your daily diet can help lower your cholesterol.
- Fiber helps reduce LDL or “bad” cholesterol. Increase your intake of fiber-rich foods such as whole grains, oatmeal, fruits, vegetables and legumes (beans). Aim for consuming 25-30 grams of fiber each day.
- Soy products can help lower cholesterol levels due to the high levels of isoflavones content.
- Include garlic, onions, avocados, salmon, almonds and walnuts in your diet.
- Supplement with omega-3, which is found in flaxseed oil and fish oil. All and One Acupuncture recommends a high quality fish oil, such as the Nordic Naturals brand.
- Copper and chromium can help lower cholesterol levels. Seafood, seeds and nuts are high in these two minerals.
- Reduce your intake of trans fats, which is high in foods like margarine, shortening, store bought baked goods, packaged cookies and crackers.
To learn more strategies for managing high cholesterol and improving your heart health, contact All and One Acupuncture for a holistic approach to your healthcare.