If you are suffering from a sore, itchy, swollen, or irritated throat, check out these simple tips for sore throat relief.
- Drink plenty of warm beverages, and avoid cold and carbonated drinks. My favorite packaged throat tea is Throat Coat by Traditional Medicinals. Or you can make your own simple tea concoction, such as the following recipe:
Steep the following in 12 oz boiling water:
- Green tea
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger, loose or in a tea ball
- 1-2 teaspoons of honey, to taste
- Allow to cool to drinking temperature and enjoy
- Gargle with sea salt dissolved in warm water or apple cider vinegar for 30 seconds 2-3 times daily.
- Throat Lozenges: I prefer the Lung and Throat Drops by Golden Lotus because the herbs help soothe the throat and resolve phlegm. And they taste good too! I always keep these in stock at our clinic and at home.
- Propolis Throat Spray Propolis is a resin produced by bees. Some research suggests that propolis is an immunomodulator with anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiviral properties. It calms a sore throat, and may prevent bacterial and viral infection. I sell this as an oral liquid spray, so it is easy to take (and I love the taste). This product is not appropriate for individuals with bee allergies.
- Acupressure at the acupuncture point Lung 10, Yuji. This acupuncture point is used to treat throat pain, swelling, dryness, and loss of voice. It is located around the midpoint of the bone between the wrist and the base of the thumb (first metacarpal bone). To find this point, find the midpoint of the bone, and then fall off the bone toward the palm side of the hand. Feel for a tender spot where the flesh color of the hand begins to turn to the white color of the palm. Hold for 30-60 seconds on each hand every few hours to address throat issues.