Spring has arrived in Portland. Our northwest springs are glorious, with a bloom season stretching from February through August. The NW region is also notorious for seasonal allergies. If your hay fever is flaring up, check out the following self care tips for reducing your allergy symptoms:
Dietary choices that can help alleviate allergy symptoms:
- Drink plenty of water to flush your system
- Consume foods high in bioflavonoids such as green tea, citrus zest, red onions, red grapes, red berries (raspberries, cranberries, strawberries), spinach, broccoli, red bell peppers, tomatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
- Anti-inflammatory diet Consider cutting out foods that create inflammation during the allergy season. These would include dairy, wheat, sugar, and red meat.
- Nutritional supplements: Vitamin C, fish oil, Quercertin, and Aller-Essentials. Talk to Boynn first to learn about which supplements may be right for you.
- Propolis is a resin produced by bees, and evidence suggests that it reduces allergic reactions. I sell this as an oral liquid spray, so it is easy to take, and it is tasty too. This product is not appropriate for individuals with bee allergies.
Keep your Home Allergen Free:
- Maintain exceptionally clean bedding. You spend a lot of time in bed, so it’s important to make sure your bedding isn’t harboring allergens. Wash your sheets, blankets, mattress pad, and pillows at least every week, if not more.
- Change clothes and shower every time you come in from spending time outside, and shower every night before getting into bed. The pollen outdoors sticks to your clothing, skin, and hair, and then you spread it around your (super clean) house.
- Invest in a high quality air filter
- Keep your doors and windows closed to minimize allergens getting into your living space
- Clean your home often. Even if you shower and change clothes diligently after coming inside and never crack a window, you still track allergens into your home. Additionally, normal indoor allergens such as dust can exacerbate your seasonal symptoms. Make sure you clean your home thoroughly once or twice a week.
If you suffer from hay fever, contact licensed acupuncturist Boynn McIntire in NE Portland to learn how acupuncture can help alleviate your allergy symptoms.